After active acne clears away, the skin tends to leave post-acne scarring. A scar creates a raised or depressed area on the skin, resulting from a loss or overgrowth of tissue. There are ways to treat acne scarring including the following;
Treatments: Professional and medical-grade treatments such as
- microneedling – helps to stimulate the natural production of collagen and elastin with mechanic micro insertions into the skin, causing acne scarring to significantly reduce in size and visibility.
- Chemical Peels – helps to regenerate the skin cells and provide a smoother, even-toned skin complexion. Certain acids (such as salicylic or glycolic acid) can lighten and reduce the size of acne scarring.
- Dermal Fillers – these are fantastic for deep, pitted indented scars. This helps to ‘fill in’ any depressed regions of the skin, creating a smoother and even canvas. To maintain results, more than 1 treatment would be needed.
Products: Professional products recommended by your dermatologist or practitioner is always the best. The best ingredients for acne scarring are:
- Niacinamide – this vitamin B3 helps to reduce pore size and diminish blemishes.
- Vitamin C – this antioxidant helps to lighten pigmentation and stimulate collagen and elastin.
- Kojic acid – this acid helps to brighten skin complexion and hydrate the skin.
- Retinol/Vitamin A – this vitamin helps to increase cellular turnover, increase collagen and elastin production.
- Azelaic Acid – this acid helps to reduce blemishes and breakouts, also creating an even-toned complexion.
- Salicylic Acid – this acid helps to unclog pores, tighten pores and reduces visible breakouts and pigmentation from acne scarring.
- Cleaning make-up tools regularly,
- wash pillowcases weekly and disinfect call phones.
- Avoid ingredients such as lanolin, isopropyl myristate, mineral oils and fragrance.
- Be careful not to wash your face with hot water, over-exfoliate or treat the skin too aggressively.
- Keep skin moisturised and hydrated.
- Avoid pore-clogging, congestion-inducing habits like working out with makeup on, and not thoroughly cleansing the skin afterwards.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle whenever possible- getting more sleep, a balanced diet, drinking more water, reduce caffeine intake and don’t smoke.